Take a walk on the wild side: Walking safaris offer a chance to connect with the natural environment in a more profound and intimate way while making you appreciate the inner workings of the ecosystem
The sights, sounds and smells of the wilderness come alive on a walking safari in Africa. It is a unique wildlife experience and unlike a traditional game drive where animals are observed from a distance, getting out on foot gets you up-close-and-personal for exhilarating encounters with the continent’s iconic species. Walking through the African wilderness can be a rejuvenating and meditative experience, allowing you to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life while reconnecting with the natural world. It’s a great way to recharge and improve your overall well-being.
Walking safaris offer a chance to connect with the natural environment in a more profound and intimate way while making you appreciate the inner workings of the ecosystem. It’s an opportunity to witness interesting wildlife and track animals in their natural habitat. They often take you off the beaten track, allowing for the discovery of hidden gems and exploration of areas inaccessible to vehicles. Experienced and knowledgeable guides who are experts in their field lead walking safaris. They provide valuable insights into the behaviour, habitat and conservation efforts related to the animals you encounter, promoting a sense of responsibility to protect and conserve. Guides also share fascinating stories and local folklore, enriching your overall safari experience.
Walking Safaris in South Africa
Enjoy the ultimate walking safari in one of the world’s most renowned wildernesses on the Greater Kruger Walking Trek. Come face-to-face with the wild inhabitants of this famed South African national park as experienced guides take the lead and lead you through the spectacular landscape. At the end of each day, gather around the campfire and relive the extraordinary memories made. Kruger National Park is unrivalled in wildlife and ecosystem diversity that is rugged, romantic, wild, luxurious as well as affordable. Take a walk on the wild side with JENMAN African Safaris in the Kruger National Park.
Walking Safaris in Zambia
Experience the epitome of a walking safari as you embark on an extraordinary adventure in the heart of Zambia. At Tafika Camp, nestled in the captivating South Luangwa National Park of Zambia, you’ll discover an unparalleled walking safari experience that immerses you in the raw beauty of the African wilderness. Guided by highly skilled and knowledgeable safari guides, you’ll have the opportunity to explore the remarkable ecosystem on foot, forging a deep connection with nature and wildlife. Unlike traditional vehicle-based safaris, walking safaris at Tafika Camp offer a more intimate and authentic encounter with the African bush.
Walking Safaris in Zimbabwe
Nestled within one of the world’s most renowned natural landscapes, Big Cave Camp offers a walking safari like no other. Prepare to be captivated as you step into a realm where untamed beauty meets exhilarating exploration. Guided by seasoned experts, you’ll have the opportunity to venture deep into the heart of the wilderness on foot with a big chance of spotting a White Rhino. This intimate encounter with nature allows you to witness the subtle nuances of the ecosystem up close, forging a profound connection with the surrounding environment. The camp’s natural rock-pool and sundeck provide an authentic taste of the Matopos, and guests, whether families, groups of friends, or honeymooners, can celebrate a successful day of exploration by enjoying a sundowner around the campfire, surrounded by the natural surroundings at Big Cave Camp.
Tips for going on Walking Safaris in Africa
- Do proper research about your chosen destination for a walking safari, including the wildlife, landscape, best time to visit, necessary permits or visas and any health or safety precautions.
- Select a well-established and reputable safari operator with experienced guides who prioritizes safety, follows ethical practices and respects wildlife conservation.
- Ensure that you have comprehensive travel insurance that covers medical emergencies and any specific activities you plan to participate in. Confirm that it includes adequate coverage for walking safaris.
- Make sure that you are physically fit and able to walk for extended periods of time. Start preparing and improving your fitness level well in advance of the trip.
- Pack appropriate clothing for your walking safari, taking into account the climate and terrain. Essential items include lightweight, breathable clothing, closed-toe walking shoes, a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, insect repellent, a water bottle and a small backpack.
- Pay close attention to the safety briefings provided by your guides and follow their instructions at all times. This includes how to behave around wildlife, maintaining a safe distance and handling any potential encounters.
- Drink plenty of water throughout your walking safari to stay hydrated in the African heat. Also, carry snacks or energy bars to keep your energy levels up.
- Follow the principle of “Leave No Trace” by disposing of waste properly and refraining from taking anything from the natural surroundings.
Many walking safaris in Africa provide opportunities to interact with local communities and learn about their traditions. This cultural immersion adds another layer of richness to your safari experience, broadening your horizons and fostering cross-cultural understanding. A walking safari will leave you with lasting memories. There are however a few important things to remember to have the adventure of a lifetime.
Our experienced Africa travel consultants will design bespoke, private itineraries according to your needs and your budget. Get in touch with one of our safari and travel specialists with your questions about availability, rates and transport options.
Talk To Us: +27 21 683 7826
Your Adventure, Our Expertise!